Financial Assistance Program Overview
The PFIC Financial Assistance Program is designed to help offset costs that may occur due to the burden of illness that PFIC can place on a family’s daily life. The cost of being a patient with a chronic illness can be consuming, even more so for a rare chronic illness. The need for financial assistance is essential to allow families to overcome these burdens.
Examples of Expenses that can be covered:
- Home: Rent/mortgage or Utilities (ex. electric, water, etc.)
- Vehicle: Car payments or car insurance
- Medical: Medical expenses not covered by insurance (including genetic testing, vitamin supplementation and travel expenses related to doctor’s appointments)
- Education: Tuition payment, books, tutor payments, etc.
The PFIC Network will accept applications throughout the year, as funds are available. Applications can be submitted at any time, but will be evaluated on a monthly basis. Applicants will be notified of application status- “approved” or “reapply”- by the 15th of the month following the application submission. (For example: an application received in March will hear of status by April 15). Please note, due to partnership constraints and compliance with country specific regulations, an application that is submitted from outside of the United States may take up to an additional 60 days before approval of funds.
To apply for financial assistance, the applicant must have:
- A completed Patient Assistance Program Application
- A confirmed PFIC diagnosis, confirmed by physician or casework on hospital/clinic letterhead; or Medical Eligibility form completed by a physician (**May substitute this requirement by providing public social media page or CaringBridge page sharing information about PFIC diagnosis and/or journey at the decision and discretion of the PFIC Network Executive Director**)
- A signed Waiver (See Program “Terms and Conditions”)
- An explanation of specific financial need
Additional information regarding application process:
- A detailed description of need is highly recommended, as it will be used to determine level of need among applicants.
- You may apply as many times as needed throughout the year. However, a family will be awarded assistance a maximum of one (1) time per calendar year.
- The PFIC Network will ONLY make payments directly to third party service providers, not to the family directly. (For example: A request is made for assistance for an electric bill. If approved, PFIC will make payment directly to an electric company).
- For International Applicants, for tax compliance and legal reasons, funds cannot be awarded from PFIC Network directly and will instead be awarded to a partner organization or a PFIC Network affiliate who has a contract in place to release the funds.
- The third-party bill(s) MUST be provided, if approved, before any assistance will be provided.
- Assistance cannot be used for emergency services, including utility cut off notices.
- Final approval of financial assistance is determined on a case by case basis by the PFIC Network Board of Directors.
- The PFIC Financial Assistance Program is available to UK applicants thanks to a wonderful ongoing partnership with the Children Liver Disease Foundation (CLDF). For more information or for an application, please email email@example.com