Financial Assistance Program Overview
The PFIC Financial Assistance Program is designed to help offset costs that may occur due to the burden of illness that PFIC can place on a family’s daily life. The cost of being a patient with a chronic illness can be consuming, even more so for a rare chronic illness. The need for financial assistance is an essential to allow families to overcome these burdens. The Patient Assistance Program will accept applications from any person who is currently receiving treatment for PFIC, as well as any parent, guardian or caregiver of a child who is currently receiving treatment for PFIC. Additionally, applications will be accepted from a dependent of a person who is currently receiving treatment for PFIC.
Examples of Expenses that can be covered:
- Home: Rent/mortgage or Utilities (ex. electric, water, etc.)
- Vehicle: Car payments or car insurance
- Medical: Medical expenses not covered by insurance (genetic testing included)
- Education: Tuition payment, books, tutor payments, etc.
The PFIC Network will accept applications throughout the year. Applications can be submitted at any time, but will be evaluated on a monthly basis. Applicants will be notified of application status— “approved” or “reapply”—by the 15th of the month following the application. (For example: an application received in March will hear of status by April 15).
To apply for financial assistance, the applicant must have:
- A completed Patient Assistance Program Application
- A confirmed PFIC diagnosis, confirmed by physician or casework on hospital/clinic letterhead; or Medical Eligibility form completed by a physician (**May substitute this requirement by providing public social media page or CaringBridge page sharing information about PFIC diagnosis and/or journey at the decision and discretion of the PFIC Executive Director**)
- A signed Waiver (See Program “Terms and Conditions”)
- An explanation of specific financial need
Additional information regarding application process:
- A detailed description of need is highly recommended, as it will be used to determine level of need among applicants.
- You may apply as many times as needed throughout the year. However, a family will be awarded assistance a maximum of one (1) time per calendar year.
- The PFIC Network will ONLY make payments directly to third party service providers, not to the family directly. (For example: A request is made for assistance for electric bill. If approved, PFIC will make payment directly to electric company).
- The third-party bill(s) MUST be provided, if approved, before any assistance will be provided.
- Assistance cannot be used for emergency services, including utility cut off notices.
- Final approval of financial assistance is determined on a case by case basis by the PFIC Network Board of Directors.
- The program with the below application accepts US applicants
- The PFIC Financial Assistance Program is also available to UK applicants thanks to a wonderful partnership with the Children Liver Disease Foundation (CLDF). For more information or for an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are working with our global ambassadors to make this program available in other countries. If you are interested in applying but are NOT living in the USA, please contact us for assistance.